[mythtv-users] mythfrontend over vnc crashes

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 2 00:43:38 UTC 2021

James <jam at tigger.ws> writes:

>> On 1 Mar 2021, at 10:13 pm, Grge Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Can you simply `ssh -X` into the server?  Ubuntu is running Wayland, so .Xauthority is no longer used, etc..  Is the vnc server running, or does it error out on start?

The vnc server is running. Mythfrontend crashes when run inside a vnc
session running a fluxbox-managed X session (same for openbox). The vnc
server survives the crash.

> The ssh performance is very syrupish. I do not run wayland, and I think it is gl stuff. Even setup is a pain
>
> [press a key]
> nothing happens
> [press again]
> [press again]
>
> gui starts to respond and does 3 key push of whatever

Yes, ssh X forwarding is not nearly as fast as using a vnc server. The
performance of x11vnc (forwarded over a ssh tunnel) is very good on my
lan.

Leo