[mythtv-users] mythfrontend over vnc crashes

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Mar 1 16:29:56 UTC 2021

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 07:57:25 -0600, you wrote:

>I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
>then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
>pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>
>The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>
>Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
>mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
>the complete command to run the server:
>
>Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
>/home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
>120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
>/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
>-co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>

>The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>
>After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
>on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
>problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>
>Attached are stdout and stderr from
>
>mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>
>in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>
>TIA,
>Leo

I use x11vnc as my vnc server, and not too long ago on an Ubuntu
upgrade I was unable to connect to it properly.  To make it work
again, I needed to switch my display manager from gdm to lightdm.  I
run x11vnc from a systemd service:

root at mypvr:~# systemctl cat x11vnc
# /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
[Unit]
Description=Start x11vnc at startup.
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage
-repeat -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -shared -noxrecord

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target