[mythtv-users] mythfrontend over vnc crashes

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 1 13:57:25 UTC 2021

I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).

The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.

Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
the complete command to run the server:

Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
/home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
-co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared

The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.

After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.

Attached are stdout and stderr from

mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt

in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.

TIA,
Leo