[mythtv-users] Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jun 23 03:31:04 UTC 2021

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:17:30 +0100, you wrote:

>On 22/06/2021 19:01, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> I was thinking of restricting to idempotent actions, so no state
>>> memory is needed: turn every device needed on, turn every device not
>>> needed off, don't use toggles, don't use next or prev actrions.
>>>
>> Unfortunately most power buttons on remotes /are/ just toggles. If you
>> need to change the input source for the TV, also, different TVs use
>> differing approaches.
>
>Oh, I must be lucky. Every one of my devices has separate power off and
>power on, some in addition to a toggle. Likewise for input selection.
>Hmmm, come to think of it, they do have exceptionally big remotes. :-)

Even devices that only have toggle buttons for things sometimes do
have discrete remote codes to do the on and off (or channel select)
separately.  The problem is finding the documentation that tells you
what the codes are, and then being able to program them.  And some TVs
(Samsung?) now have a defined Internet API for remote control.  I hope
other manufacturers will copy this.