[mythtv-users] New laptop - what video do I need for MythTV these days?

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:43:00 UTC 2021

Hi Stephen!

> And what about 4K?  I would hope to keep any new laptop I buy going
> for at least the 8 years I got out of the GT70, so does that mean I
> should be getting one with a 4K screen?  Or at least one that can do
> 4K on its HDMI port?  Currently, I do not have any 4K screens, and TV
> here in New Zealand is only 1080i.  And I do not do Netflix or other
> subscription TV that has a 4K option.  So deinterlacing is very
> important, but 4K not so much yet.

I tend to look ahead when making purchases; maybe you don’t have 4K now,
New Zealand broadcast services don’t offer 4K, but probably eventually
will. I’d lean towards getting the 4K option, unless priced out of
range. Can’t swap graphic cards in laptops nearly as easily like one can
in desktops.

> I am thinking that 17" is overkill and 15" is probably fine, but 17"
> has worked well for when we are away on holiday and two people are
> watching at the same time.

If you want a happy vacation (and life) stick with the 17” screen!  :)
Plus you’re getting older and will appreciate the slightly larger
display (easier to see without reaching for the reading glasses).

One thing that soured me on AMD in my last desktop build was skimping on
the heatsink. The “AMD approved” heatsink/fan combo that came with the
CPU was barely adequate for cooling under near-idle conditions. Doing
normal backups caused overheating to the point of shutdown. Due to this
issue I found AMD expects people to chuck their supplied unit in favour
of a bigger/proper coolers when building a system. AMD also is geared
towards gamers while Intel (forgot the term but what I’d considered
‘work’). So makes me wonder if they “cheat” on desktop units if the same
issue with laptops? Not intended a slam on AMD, but more ‘use the proper
tool’, plus a couple of factoids I was not aware of at the time I made
my purchase.

Barry