[mythtv-users] Recordings not working

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 16:38:30 UTC 2021

On 6/13/21, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You know...some time back I switched all my systems from MySQL to
>> MariaDB and couldn't be happier with it. This makes me wish they'd
>> fork the client code as well, so we can get the idiots at Oracle out
>> of the picture entirely....maybe this inexcusable bullshit wouldn't
>> occur.
>
> They did.  The mariadb-connector-c library exists
> on most distros, but it may not automatically
> replace the mysql connector library for existing
> installations in all cases (typically the two
> connector libraries are going to be marked as
> conflicting, so how that is handled will vary).
>
> That is why (primarily) this was seen on ubuntu
> systems as that is the only major distro who has
> continued to default to mysql long after others
> moved to mariadb.
>
> On the other hand, there was a case where the
> mariadb connector did not work with a change
> to mysql for a time until corrected, so mixing
> and matching can result in at least short term
> pain during any update until something gets
> fixed.

Ahhh, yes you're totally correct. It's been long enough since I
switched that I totally forgot about all that. It was a bit of a
confusing mess for me in fact. As it turns out I have both connectors
installed on my MythTV systems. dev-perl/DBD-mysql is actually using
mariadb-connector-c, but (at least in Gentoo) currently dev-qt/qtsql
has a hard requirement for dev-db/mysql-connector-c.

Tom