[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Mon Jun 7 14:15:51 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 09:53:44AM -0400, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 6/4/21 5:16 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> > Paul Harrison says:
> > > So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
> > > in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would
> > > you like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better
> > > video media library.
> > I find that I use YouTube 95% of the time on my Shield. The SmartTube Next client often breaks; a better, ad-skipping YouTube client within MythFrontend would be very welcome.
>
> I have been using FreeTube [https://freetubeapp.io/] of late. It's open
> source, too, so I suppose it might just be possible to integrate it with
> Myth.

Youtube does allow a channel to be viewed as an RSS feed.  I give that url
to gpodder to periodically pull down new shows on about a dozen channels (and
some shows from other feeds), then I have a hacked together shell script to
transfer downloaded videos into MythTV for viewing.

There are occasional hiccups when youtube changes something and it takes a
while for gpodder to catch up, but generally this has been humming along for
a few years.  The script is a severe hack, pulling data from gpodder's sqlite
and pushing data into MythTV's database, but it gets the job done.

marcus hall