[mythtv-users] Changed monitors (not the TV) and now mythfrontend doesn't display right.

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 12:46:49 UTC 2021

On 07/06/2021 03:41, A. F. Cano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running MythTV for years (v30 on debian stable) and it worked
> perfectly.  I have 4 monitors: 1 and 2 (built-in intel video) are on the
> desk, 3 is the 40" Samsung tv where the frontend runs, 4 is a smaller
> screen.  3 and 4 are on a fanless video card.
>
> 1 and 2 used to be 1920x1080, the tv is 1920x1080 and #4 is smaller.  in
> this situation, the frontend worked perfectly.  Both the frontend
> interface and the video being played filled the screen correctly.
>
> I just changed 1 and 2.  They now are 1920x1200.
>
> I start the frontend in a window on #1 with this command:
>
> $ mythfrontend -geometry +3849+0
>
> And it doesn't work any more.  The frontend interface overfills the
> screen, so I try:
>
> $ mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+3849+0
>
> and now the frontend interface fills the screen correctly but the video
> is displayed with 2 vertical bars on the sides.  It seems that the code
> that displays the video refers to the biggest vertical resolution no
> matter what the -geometry options tells the frontend and no matter on
> what screen it is running.  I also tried starting the frontend from a
> konsole window on display 3 (the tv - 1920x1080) but it behaves the same
> way.
>
> Is there some option that I now need to set explicitly?  Is there
> something I can do to force the code that displays the video to have the
> proper height of 1080? or is this a bug?
>
> Help! I really depend on MythTV.  Anything I can do/try to help debug
> this issue?
>
> Thanks!  And of course a HUGE thank you to the developers for an amazing
> piece of software.
>
> Augustine

I just noticed that this went as a direct reply.  Resending, FWIW, to list.

A lot of work was done in master around the 2020 New Year that affected
this sort of thing, and I don't know if that has reached v30.  But
frontend setup has settings for framed/unframed windows and for
identical or separate UI/Video geometries that you might need to adjust.

I used framed 'frontend setup' windows on a monitor, and a -nw
--geometry override to put the display onto the TV; but I haven't
returned to using HDMI with TV since something bricked my TV#1...

John P