[mythtv-users] Weird mythsocket error messages on master / fixes/31

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 14:38:10 UTC 2021

> I would guess that you have a hacker or some rogue process that is sending
> messages to your mythtv box. Is your port open to the internet? Port 6543
> is normally the MythTV port. You can see these errors if you run telnet
> localhost 6534 and then type random junk into telnet. Each line of stuff
> you type will be reported as a protocol error in mythbackend (unless you by
> chance type a valid MythTV command :).

Thanks Peter.  This is interesting as I block port 6543 access from outside
my network - so that means the rouge client is inside somehow.  I'll have
to play around with some host firewall rules and VLAN firewall rules to
better determine the source.

Would enabling more detailed mythtv log help show a source for the socket
connection?