[mythtv-users] Can't connect to remote backend database

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 04:21:46 UTC 2021

> Have you checked that there is not still another bind-address setting
> somewhere in the config files that is overriding your new setting?

Yes. There are only 2 files with bind-address under /etc/mysql :

$ sudo grep -ir "bind-address" *
conf.d/mythtv.cnf:bind-address=0.0.0.0

mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf:bind-address            = 0.0.0.0
mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf:mysqlx-bind-address     = 0.0.0.0

If you have IPv6 enabled, set bind-address=:: instead of
> bind-address=0.0.0.0.

I did have IPv6 enabled (accidentally) but I have now disabled it. But I
still can't make a remote connection to mysql. BTW I'm testing this from a
shell on a remote machine like this:

$ mysql -u mythtv -h 192.168.0.120 -p mythconverg

Could it be that the problem is to do with granting permissions on tables?
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Setup has examples of grant commands
but they're more arou what to do on initial setup when creating user
mythtv. If I'd done something wrong there and that could be the cause of
the problem, how can I fix that up now?