[mythtv-users] Editing shows in Android frontends (inspired by "The future of MythTV" thread)

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 20:08:36 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 3:34 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021, 2:35 PM James Abernathy, <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 2:09 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As I mentioned in my contribution to the "The future of MythTV" thread,
>>> the backend recording is still very important to me. In the pandemic we've
>>> consumed a lot of "comfort food" oldies sitcoms that broadcast on the retro
>>> OTA channels but may not stream or have home entertainment releases.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I tend to edit out/mark commercials in those shows which is easy
>>> for the big remotes as ai just key assign the editing commands to the red,
>>> green, blue, yellow buttons.
>>>
>>> For those using, say, a Shield or Chromecast with Google TV (I have the
>>> latter and there's barely any buttons on the remote) how do you mark/edit?
>>> Could you use a Bluetooth keyboard at that point?
>>>

>> So I do something similar. I have a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV with the really
>> crappy remote.  I use the Logitech Harmony smart hub remote system to solve
>> that problem by adding a magic non-existent keyboard to the remote and
>> assigning Harmony keys to needed functions.
>>
>> However, when editing recordings to adjust the cut marks more accurately,
>> I use a Bluetooth keyboard so I have all the keys that mythfrontend
>> allows.  The bluetooth keyboard is an old Apple Mac BT keyboard for a Mac
>> that long ago was retired from use.
>>

> Thanks for the info. Possibly dumb question: what receives the keyboard
> input? The Shield or a Bluetooth dongle on the MythTV box?

The Shield has in it's settings a way to pair BT devices like game
controllers and keyboards.  So you don't do anything to the mythfrontend
app on the Shield TV.  You use the keyboard as normal.  The keyboard is
also accessible to all apps. So when you are searching on Netflix, you can
use the BT keyboard.

Jim A