[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Jun 5 15:55:21 UTC 2021

 >Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

I'm a USA Comcast user and a long tong time mythtv user, backend on
Ubuntu and mostly classic frontend on Ubuntu. My biggest disappointment
is with the commercial detection software. It does work well on a few
programs but it does poorly on most. I have not seen any improvement
over the years.

I envy the platforms that employ some outside service to do the marking
by whatever technology or human efforts they employ. I wonder if
schedules direct might consider a premium service that integrates
commercial marking data from one of the commercial services.

On a different technology idea I also wonder if there is a machine
learning approach that could be employed to train the detection software.

Although mythtv is by far my primary, I do have a Comcast box to deal
with ON Demand, streams, and as a backup in case there is a mythtv
glitch. However, it would be great if Mythtv had something like "video
Download Helper" to handle streams. I don't really know what works well
for this, I haven't actually had much luck experimenting directly with
Video Download Helper.