[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

James jam at tigger.ws
Sat Jun 5 06:01:46 UTC 2021

> On 5 Jun 2021, at 6:47 am, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2021, 11:27 pm Paul Harrison, <mythtv at mythqml.net <mailto:mythtv at mythqml.net>> wrote:
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>
> I've been using MythTV for 20 years. These days I still record FTA but even though I love Mythfrontend I use other frontends to watch (such as Leanfront from a Google TV device).
>
> I agree with other commenters that the loss of MythBuntu was huge because that made a very complex setup process easier. And the LIRC setup is impossible difficult to expect most people to deal with.
>
> I had a play with TV Headend a while back. It's back-end only, but the installation and setup is quick and easy so worth looking at for ideas on how to improve ease of install for MythTV.
>
> The other area I think could be improved a lot is channel setup, especially rescans and the issues that causes with duplicate channels  I remember it being a lot easier in TV Headend.
>
> I really hope MythTV doesn't go away because it's incredibly powerful. But I guess that's also why it's difficult for people who don't like to fiddle with tech.

An issue that incessantly bugs me is meta data. Without doubt some of the issues are not myth but provider but some are myth. EG I retrieve meta data and get correct meta data and artwork. I press [accept] and nothing happens (often it works, often it does not)
Once the video library reaches 100s or 1000s of entries not-having meta data is a real pain. Either other folk do not have issues or noone cares.
What other options do I have, that will preserve or easily retrieve meta data. I tried to untangle myth's version but it is complex and so far I've failed.
In terms of 'going away' I cannot believe that myth codebase will be trashed and building is easy enough so git and make are your friends.

To justify my provider gybe try to retrieve meta data for 'The Gradute' (Dustin Hofman as a youngie)

James