[mythtv-users] Hard frontend crash with vaapi on Ubuntu 20.04 and Mythtv 31

OpenMedia Support support at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Jun 1 11:05:11 UTC 2021

>> On 1 Jun 2021, at 3:38 pm, OpenMedia Support <support at openmedia.co.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running an Intel N3150 based NUC as a dedicated frontend for MythTV
>> and it keep getting hard crashes during video playback with VAAPI. Id
>> appreciate some guidance on how to best debug the problem.
>>
>> Hardware - Gigabyte Brix Intel N3150 / 4GB Ram / 120GB SSD
>>
>> OS - Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - regularly patched
>>
>> MythTV Backend - on different hardware with DVB-T and DVB-S cards
>>
>> MythTV Frontend - Lastest version from the PPA -
>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/31/ubuntu
>>
>> Video playback currently uses a custom VAAPI profile, but the out of the
>> box VAAPI profile also has issues. It appears to occur when playing
>> H.264
>> based content. Our DVB-T FTA service is H.264 for both HD and SD
>> material.
>> It can occur when we're simply watching a show, and the video / audio
>> freezes and I need to hard-reset the Brix hardware.
>>
>> I've configured for
>> - max_cpus = 3
>> - deinterlacer - low:shader:driver
>> - decoder - vaapi
>> - videorender - opengl-hw
>> - skiploop - 0
>>
>> I'll try and reproduce with "-v playback" enabled but at present there
>> is
>> nothing obvious in the frontend or system logs when the crash occurs.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate it if anyone else seen similar issues and could
>> provide guidance.
>
> I use various i3 which *never* crash. I use self compiled myth which I
> update (via git) regularly.
> How do you use VAAPI?  How do you do that?
>
> ‘buntu is I guess the easiest (and it is easy) to config for building.
> (follow the wiki)

Pretty standard out of the box vaapi install on Ubuntu

Here are the vainfo details for my chipset

ibva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_6
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.7 (libva 2.6.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) CherryView - 2.4.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointVLD