[mythtv-users] Can't connect to remote backend database (again)

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 22:40:05 UTC 2021

Back in June I posted a problem where I couldn't connect any remote
frontends to my v13 backend running on Ubuntu 20.04. I fixed that with help
from everyone (thanks) which meant I could connect a mythfrontend running
on a Ubuntu PC.

However, I thought the fix would mean I could connect any number of remote
frontends, but Ihave a Chromecast with Google TV device with mythfrontend
installed on it and that won't connect. It finds the backend server and
populates the IP address, database name (mythconverg) and user (mythtv).
I'm 100% certain I've entered the correct password (which should be the
same as the password on the PC mythfrontend, correct?)

This is my list of users:
mysql> select host,user from mysql.user;
+-------------+------------------+
| host        | user             |
+-------------+------------------+
| %           | mythtv           |
| 192.168.0.% | mythtv           |
| localhost   | debian-sys-maint |
| localhost   | mysql.infoschema |
| localhost   | mysql.session    |
| localhost   | mysql.sys        |
| localhost   | root             |
+-------------+------------------+

These are my grants:
mysql> show grants for "mythtv"@"192.168.0.%";
| Grants for mythtv at 192.168.0.%                                     |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO `mythtv`@`192.168.0.%`                      |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mythconverg`.* TO `mythtv`@`192.168.0.%` |

Any idea why the PC's mythfrontend can connect, but the Chromecast
with Google TV can't? BTW I know there's connectivity because other Android
apps like Leanfront can connect. They use the APIs so, ironically, they're
a lot easier to get working than MythTV's inbuilt mythfrontend.

Regards,
Phill