[mythtv-users] semi OT on git

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 11:25:20 UTC 2021

James <jam at tigger.ws> writes:

> Hi
> I'm doing exactly as mythtv is: using a git branch for a version of the project, These branches will never be merged. Yet I do not understand why my stuff does not work. Is anybody a guru in this area please?
> (Of course the obvious pull does not change this issue)
>
> jam at farlap:~/SD/dvrutils> git push
> To ssh://sandypit/~/dvrUtils
>  ! [rejected]        HD2 -> HD2 (non-fast-forward)
>  ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://git@sandypit/~/dvrUtils'
> hint: Updates were rejected because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote
> hint: counterpart. Check out this branch and integrate the remote changes
> hint: (e.g. 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
> hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

The hints explain the problem. You will need to update your local repo.
Typically, I do something like

  $ git fetch origin
  $ git pull --rebase origin refs/heads/master
  $ git push -v origin

This ensures that my local commits are pushed as fast-forward commits.
There is further explanation in the manpage for git-push entitled

NOTE ABOUT FAST-FORWARDS

Leo