[mythtv-users] 2021: Good cheap frontends for sports?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 02:26:03 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 9:38 AM Josh Rosenberg <mythtv at desh.info> wrote:

> Hey, all. My Zotac ZBOX-ID84 that I bought used 4 years ago might be
> biting the dust, so it's time for a new frontend again. Since I watch a
> fair bit of sports, I don't think Raspberry Pi or the Android-based
> frontends give quite the oomph I need for 720p/1080i sports, let alone
> higher quality. (See my previous thread at
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/626703 .)
>
> My instinct is to buy another ZBox and use VDPAU again, but I haven't kept
> up on the latest developments with VAAPI or NVDEC. From a quick search, it
> seems like buying hardware with a plan to use VDPAU might not be the best
> option in 2021. Does anyone have any specific suggestions for something
> that's Zbox sized or smaller and would make a good frontend for a sports
> fan in this day and age?

I also had a Zotac Ion frontend that I used for years with VDPAU.  It was
very good, but crapped out on me.   I tried a few alternatives, including
the Pi 3, which was pretty good but had noticeable judder on sports panning
views.

I ended up with the Nvidia Shield Pro -- the version that was updated last
year, and I find it to be excellent.  Using the Mythfrontend app, it's very
snappy and has excellent video playback.  My perception is that it's as
good as the Zotac, but without comparing side by side it's hard to say
100%.  Much of my viewing is HD sports, and I have no problems with the
Shield.  Also, the Shield gives you access to all the streaming apps
(Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, etc.) which makes it the ultimate frontend in
my opinion.