[mythtv-users] Update: root user created, but unusable: errors 1044 and 1045.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 01:14:57 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:05:15AM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 14/01/2021 22:05, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 02:31:28PM -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > Latest update: Now mysql is totally inaccessible, so the mythtv server doesn't
> > > even start.  I left all the details of how I got to this point for
> > > completeness.
> >
> > That is still the case, I did manage to create the root user but I can't
> > do anything with it.  At least I can start mysql -u root but nothing
> > else works.  I also re-created the mythtv user.   Even flush privileges
> > doesn't work.  Obviously just re-creating the root user wasn't enough,
> > how do I give it the privileges it needs?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Augustine
>
> I'm far from being a DB guru and I'm reluctant to jump in here, but last
> July I had DB access problems which seemed to arise after an upgrade from
> trying to follow conflicting sets of instructions relating to 'root'   With
> guidance from Bill Meek I was able to recover and it's just possible that
> you might find it helpful too.  It's here, in the last couple of posts in
> this thread - and FWIW it was a Fedora box.  I think the real meat is at
> "Here's the entire set of commands:"
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/632838#632838

I think my problem is much more basic.  I can do absolutely nothing.  At
first I thought (from what I've read so far) that somehow I was logged
in as the anonymous user:

MariaDB [(none)]> select user(), current_user();
+----------------+----------------+
| user()         | current_user() |
+----------------+----------------+
| root at localhost | root at localhost |
+----------------+----------------+
1 row in set (0.000 sec)

I'm not quite sure what this indicates, but I don't see ''@localhost
(the anonymous user) and yet the current user I'm logged in as
(using mysql -u root) doesn't let me do anything:

MariaDB [(none)]> use mysql;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
MariaDB [(none)]> use mythtv;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mythtv

MariaDB [(none)]> grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified by 'xxxx' with grant option;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mythconverg'

MariaDB [(none)]> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by 'xxxx' with grant option;
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

'xxxx' are the passwords that used to work before (in the case of
mythtv) and the new one I've just created for root at localhost, in case
having an empty password was the issue.  '' also gave the same results
(for root).

MariaDB [(none)]> update mysql.user set password=password('') where user='root';
ERROR 1142 (42000): UPDATE command denied to user 'root'@'localhost' for table 'user'
MariaDB [(none)]> flush privileges;
ERROR 1227 (42000): Access denied; you need (at least one of) the RELOAD privilege(s) for this operation

Does anybody know what I can do to overcome this?  Thanks...

Augustine