[mythtv-users] Update: root user created, but unusable: errors 1044 and 1045.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 22:05:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 02:31:28PM -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Latest update: Now mysql is totally inaccessible, so the mythtv server doesn't
> even start.  I left all the details of how I got to this point for
> completeness.

That is still the case, I did manage to create the root user but I can't
do anything with it.  At least I can start mysql -u root but nothing
else works.  I also re-created the mythtv user.   Even flush privileges
doesn't work.  Obviously just re-creating the root user wasn't enough,
how do I give it the privileges it needs?

Thanks.

Augustine

# mysql -u root
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 48
Server version: 10.3.27-MariaDB-0+deb10u1 Debian 10

Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> show grants for 'root'@'localhost';
| Grants for root at localhost                |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO `root`@`localhost` |
1 row in set (0.000 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by '';
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
MariaDB [(none)]> grant all privileges on mysql.* to root at localhost identified by '';
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
MariaDB [(none)]> show grants for mythtv at localhost;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
MariaDB [(none)]> show grants for 'mythtv'@'localhost';
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
MariaDB [(none)]> select * from mysql.users;
ERROR 1142 (42000): SELECT command denied to user 'root'@'localhost' for table 'users'
MariaDB [(none)]> use mysql;
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
MariaDB [(none)]> grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by '';
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
MariaDB [(none)]> flush privileges;
ERROR 1227 (42000): Access denied; you need (at least one of) the RELOAD privilege(s) for this operation
MariaDB [(none)]>