[mythtv-users] MythTV Light on RPi 3b

Jeff jffry at posteo.net
Mon Jan 11 19:50:34 UTC 2021

Hi Martin,

On 11/01/2021 08:53, Martin Bene wrote:
> I've just spent the last couple of days upgrading my mythtv system (backend plus 5 Raspberry 3b Frontends).
>
> I wanted to go from 0.27 to 31, but in the end I gave up on 31 and went with 30 instead because I could not get acceptable playback on 31.

Is that stretch + 30 or buster + 30?

> Both on .27 and on 30  Playback up to and including 1920p50 works perfectly using the openmax decode and openmax render methods, even without MPEG license.

That is good information.

> For 31, I installed 2020-12-02-raspios-buster-armhf, updated and followed the wiki instructions for new playback profile using V4L2 decode only + OpenGL YV12 renderer (both with and without MPEG license).  With all settings I tried I had slight tearing in playback.
>
> Can you post the /boot/config.txt you're using and the playback profile settings you settled on? Are you using a decoder license? Do you run mythtv from an lxsession or are you using eglfs?
>
> I could get autostart working for lxsession using .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart; running QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend didn't work for me.

I had assumed that the distro is important, as I had the feeling that
with the newer QT version, the menus were suddenly fading in and out,
and I wondered whether this and other changes in QT were harder on the
graphics performance.

With buster + 31, no X and QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs, SD is fine. HD is just
about watchable, as long as nothing fast is happening. Sport, in
particular, causes quite a bit of tearing. Skipping 10s backwards is
almost impossible. Forwards, for some reason, is better.

 From time to time, I get the temperature symbol on the screen. I had
*NEVER* had that before, so it wasn't clear to me whether that was
simply due to it being hidden by X before or that 31 was so much harder
work.

I think, therefore, If no one has any good ideas, I'll roll back to 30,
and turn X back on, in order to sort out the keyboard layout, which I
haven't solved, either.

I assume I'll have no problem running v31 on the BE and v30 on the RPi FE?

I did consider a Fire stick, but they are not exactly open source.

Regards

Jeff