[mythtv-users] Curious fast forward problem

mythtv mythtv at mdabbs.org
Tue Jan 5 16:56:38 UTC 2021

We've been experiencing this weird fast forward behaviour for several
versions now. I assume it must just be something we're doing wrong
because it's never changed since at least v0.28 and no one else seems to
be talking about it.

What happens is this: We have auto-skip commercials turned off. When
watching live tv, if we're delayed for more than a few minutes, then hit
fast-forward to manually skip thru some commercials, 9 out of 10 times,
we can skip  thru a few commercials but sometimes it will just jump
forward to almost live again (a few seconds behind live).  I hope I
explained that correctly.  Its not "consistent" but it happens
frequently enough to be a real nuisance, especially when our remote
doesn't have numbers allowing us to just jump back a certain number of
minutes. And also, the amount jumped is not a consistent amount of time,
it always just jumps to near live again.  I believe the backend is
marking commercial breaks, and maybe there is some weirdness in trying
to jump forward without a correct number of commercial breaks recorded,
or some other setting about the length of commercials, etc. I don't
quite understand all of those settings, and I don' think I've changed
any from the defaults, other than to disable commercial auto-skip.