[mythtv-users] Problems with ExternalRecorder and streamlink

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:12:40 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 3:00 PM Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se>
wrote:

> <trimmed>
>
>   ps aux | grep mythexternrecorder
>     root     15820  0.0  0.0   7868   676 pts/0    S+   22:51   0:00 grep
> mythexternrecorder
>
> > What does the mythexternrecorder log file have in it?
>
> To be honest I have never really managed to have separate logs in
> /var/log/mythtv/ even though I have tried to.
>
>   ls -ld /var/log/mythtv
>     drwxr-sr-x 2 root adm 20480 feb 11 20:36 /var/log/mythtv
>
>   ps ax | grep mythbackend | grep -v grep
>     15605 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath
> /var/log/mythtv/ --verbose channel,record
>
>   systemctl status mythtv-backend
>     ● mythtv-backend.service - MythTV Backend
>          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service;
> enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
>         Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d
>                  └─override.conf
>          Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-02-11 22:42:27 CET; 1min
> 23s ago
>            Docs: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
>                  https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
>        Main PID: 15605 (mythbackend)
>           Tasks: 34 (limit: 4915)
>          Memory: 44.0M
>          CGroup: /system.slice/mythtv-backend.service
>                  └─15605 /usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv/
> --verbose channel,record
>
>   cat /etc/rsyslog.d/mythtv-backend.conf
>     $FileOwner mythtv
>     $FileGroup mythtv
>     $FileCreateMode 0644
>
>     # Specify a log file name format.  Ensure one of the following
> templates is
>     # uncommented.
>     #  - Use a single log file for all logging from any MythTV application:
>     #$template mythtvFile,"/var/log/mythtv/mythtv.log"
>     #  - Use a single log file per application:
>     $template mythtvFile,"/var/log/mythtv/%programname%.log"
>     #  - Use a separate log file per process:
>     #$template
> mythtvFile,"/var/log/mythtv/%programname%.%syslogtag:R,ERE,1,ZERO:\[([[:digit:]]{1,})\]--end%.log"
>
>     # Send all logging on local6 facility to mythtvFile (filename created
> according
>     # to the template specified, above), then discard (so the message is
> not also
>     # written to system other log files).
>     # This should catch any output from MythTV applications, assuming they
> are
>     # started with:
>     #   --syslog local6
>     local6.* ?mythtvFile
>     & ~
>
>     $FileOwner root
>     $FileGroup adm
>     $FileCreateMode 0640
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

You don't have a mythtv user and group?  I strongly recommend having
mythbackend, etc, run as mythtv:mythtv instead of root. You would need to
change the ownership of /var/log/mythtv accordingly.  It is very possible
that is your whole problem. If mythexternrecorder does not have permission
to write its log files to the same directory as mythbackend, it will refuse
to run.
That being said, I don't use syslog for mythbackend logs and have never
tried to use mythexternrecorder that way. I guess it should work, I just
can't be sure.

John