[mythtv-users] Anyone running MythTV 31 on 32-bit x86 with nVidia card?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:10:10 UTC 2021

On 2/11/21, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/02/2021 19:47, Tom Dexter wrote:

>>> That file is encoded using the H.264 High at L5 profile.  I am not sure
>>> if a GT430 can play that profile, so that may be why it is dropping
>>> back to using ffmpeg.  You only need High at L4.1 for playing BluRay, so
>>> a lot of earlier Nvidia cards did not support higher than that, IIRC.
>>> In v31 (using the new rendering code), when I play that file using
>>> mythavtest on my GT1030, it plays using VDPAU.
>>
>> Again though, that can't possibly be the issue because it can use
>> VDPAU on that same system and GT430 in MythTV 29.1, xine, and mpv.
>> Clearly has to be a software issue and not the card.
>>
>> Tom
>
> But you may well have to tell it to use VDPAU or NVDEC in your playback
> options in the frontend.  Frontend setup > Video > Playback, iirc
>
> John P

If you mean the playback profile, my default has always used VDPAU for
everything. Again, what everyone seems to be missing is that none of
that would explain why it uses VDPAU just fine in 29.1 (which I'm
using now) and failed in version 30, with everything (including the
playback profile) being the same.

Tom