[mythtv-users] Database damage?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Feb 11 00:37:39 UTC 2021

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

Upfront, I really appreciate your detailed response.  Unfortunately I’m not quite there yet.

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 11:44:30 -0500, you wrote:

>> I tried to run find_orppans.py.  It found 673 recordings with missing files.  If I select "Delete orphaned recording entries”, I get the message:
>>
>> Warning: Failed to delete 'MediumMini.local: Republic of Doyle - The Driver'
>>
>> Then the list of orphaned recordings, etc, is re-displayed—nothing has apparently been fixed.
>
> It takes time for mythbackend to delete things, so when you are
> deleting a long list of missing file recordings, only one or two will
> have actually been deleted by the time that find_orphans.py creates
> its new list of missing file recordings.  So you need to re-run
> find_orphans.py and get it to re-create the list, until you see that
> the deletions have been completed.  When you delete recordings, you
> are actually just telling mythbackend to add the delete requests to a
> delete queue, which it processes in the background until it is empty.
> The delete queue is saved over a shutdown of mythbackend and will be
> restarted on the startup of mythbackend.

I should have mentioned that in multiple attempts to run find_orphans.py, it _always_ comes back with the same message about "Republic of Doyle - The Driver’.  In mythfrontend, there is no such recording visible.  Months ago that when I started to failed recordings, I believe I got this message and then tried to delete this particular recording in the frontend.  I don’t recall any obvious problems at that time but maybe this is what is gumming up the works for me.

Should I try zapping something in the database to remove any remnants of The Driver?

>> Checking the MariaDB error log, quite a few tables are marked as crashed, e.g. settings, recorded, oldrecorded, etc.  I have a daily backup of the database (using mythconverg_backup.pl) and I run optimize_mythdb.pl on a daily basis.  Even though optimization complete successfully, it MariaDB complains the next time I start the database.
>
> I have been in the situation you find yourself in and I did manage to
> repair the database without having to restore from backup.  So I have
> some suggestions.
> [good advice on free space and mysqlcheck elided]

I have verified that the partition has 30+ gigs of free space.

Thanks for reminding me about mysqlcheck.  I’ve now run the regular and extended checks and all tables are reporting OK.  I’ll have to look further at the error log—maybe I was looking at old error messages?

Thanks again, Stephen, for taking the time to give me some helpful advice.

Craig