[mythtv-users] mac build

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:55:58 UTC 2021

> MacPorts did a mass switch to libjpeg-turbo a couple of weeks ago [1].
> AIUI, libjpeg-turbo is a drop-in replacement for libjpeg but with a massive
> (?) speed advantage.  Note that libjpeg-turbo installs the following dylibs:
>
> $ port contents libjpeg-turbo |grep dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.8.2.2.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.8.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libturbojpeg.0.2.0.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libturbojpeg.0.dylib
>   /opt/local/lib/libturbojpeg.dylib

Thanks Craig - this is interesting.  I wonder if the issue is caused by
some of the qt ports being built off of libturbojpeg and others (I'm
looking at the culprit qt5-WebKit) being built with libjpeg. This gives me
something to look into.  This could end up being an ansible fix plus a
double check in the compile script while bundling the application.

Both Catalina and High Sierra play beautifully
> I can’t see any reason but both seem much smoother than previous. (That’s
> really hard to subjectively evaluate since “the winds of yesteryear” are
> gone (old builds). Certainly this looks good (I watched a few moments of
> Super Bowl)
>
> I edited a HD movie, with errors, without any hassles
>
> I retrived meta data with no more than the usual fiddling about. (And I
> mean the Oxford definition).

Excellent - glad it's finally working!

> I’ll try to break build and post any ‘sucess’ stories, but I will use a
> new VM and case insensitive FS. This was somewhat painful (reinstall OS X)

Please use a copy from the Sourceforge site.  Those versions have the jpeg
fix in them currently.  I'm going to try to find a more elegant solution to
the jpeg fix before making another push request to myhtv's git repository.