[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD issues

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 14:28:51 UTC 2021

John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I remembered that your location made this difficult, but that means you would probably have benefitted from Klaas's recent tweaks, which (can) add selection of transports by signal strength.  I see essentially only one transmitter.

Lucky you :-)
We can also get a signal around here (though more so from the higher end of town) from Moel-y-Parc in North Wales which is not a massively different bearing than Winter Hill - that makes for interesting tuning with some equipment. I once helped a friend with a rather nice TV, but it didn't have any way to select/filter anything - so a full scan would consistently pick up all the channels from both transmitters. It was then a case of weeding out all the duplicates by hand.
At least our newer TVs ask which country/region to use when there's a selection.

> But of course once you have a working setup the need  for complex (or even "full") scans will be less compelling.

Indeed.

> One other point: the 'linking' of transports probably won't know about relay transmitters, and will try to use the main-chain one, which iiuc will usually be horizontally polarised.

Ah, that makes sense.
Just hard reconciling the (something like) 10 transports the channel scan finds, with the 5 it puts in the table.

Next time I'll try giving myself a bit more time so I can try and figure out exactly what it's up to.

Simon