[mythtv-users] Warning OpenGL not available?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 13:59:39 UTC 2021

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 8:32 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25/04/2021 12:28, Mike Perkins wrote:

> >> MythTV now effectively requires working OpenGL. It will fall back to
> >> the Qt painter if it's not available but as you found that completely
> >> disables video playback and you will probably find many rendering
> >> problems in the GUI.
> >>
> >> Don't know if it's related but for the first time ever I saw something
> >> similar using a QML based program. I rebooted and haven't seen it
> >> since though \0/. I wonder if a Qt update or NVidia driver update or
> >> something has broken something? Are you using the NVidia propitiatory
> >> driver?
> >>

> >> Paul H.
> >>
> > It may not be a mythtv thing. I'm still on v30 (lack of time) and
> > recently had a similar message when trying to view something I knew was
> > fine. Sometimes just restarting the front end was enough to clear it. It
> > may be a kernel or library thing.
> >
> I'm running master on an old core2duo box. It's in a window with basic
> intel graphics and a single monitor.  I normally start the frontend from
> a konsole tab with 'MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend'
>
> If I start another instance using just 'mythfrontend' I see a pop-up
> warning 'No GPU Acceleration available', and on trying playback get 'E
> Overlay: Failed to create window osd_status' and a segfault.
>
> I saw this quite recently when trying to find out why a frontend-launch
> panel widget had appeared.  I managed to delete it and the box seems to
> be running normally.
>
> Something in this might connect?
>
> John P

On my PC with the GT1030 card, I got an update notice from Mint update
manager that the nvidia driver 460 needed an update.  So I updated and it
didn't recommend a reboot.  So I didn't reboot and mythfrontend got the No
OpenGL warning I saw on my other system.  So this seems to be this issue.
I'll reboot and bet this issue is solved here.   I can't believe they
update a GFX drive and don't set the reboot needed flag.

Jim A