[mythtv-users] 6.6 Short Schedule

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 17:17:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 3:51 PM Scott Simpson <simpson100 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it OK to leave EIT data enabled and Schedules Direct? I have both
> enabled and haven't had problems. Won't the EIT data just add
> to/overwrite the information from Schedules Direct? It seems the EIT
> data would be more current.

While there are always exceptions, the EIT data is
typically not as complete or extensive as the data
from Schedules Direct, so you may lose details if
you let EIT stomp(*) over the SD data and since
the data may be coming from a different source,
it may not be formatted the same, making the
results perhaps inconsistent from future data
(whether those lose of details or differences
matter to you will, of course, vary),

Note that while one might fantasize EIT data
would be more current, and there are probably
cases where it could be(**), in practice most stations
get the EIT data from another company to feed
to their transmitters (there are a couple (four?)
of companies that take guide data and transform
it to the EIT format(***)), so you are back to the
accuracy of the guide provider (whomever that
is for the company doing the transformation
that the station has contracted with for the data),
and you have the ability to be getting your
Schedules Direct updates a few times a day
as long as you are using the JSON feed, so the
accuracy would be expected to be equivalent.

While the general recommendation is to use
EIT *or* your chosen guide provider (not both),
MythTV gives you the option to do what works
best for your specific use case.

(*) Using the term used in a previous reply.

(**) Stations may pull data from their PSIP
Data Service Provider on various schedules
(once a day, a few times a day, etc.) but those
providers still depend on the underlying guide
data providers updates, which have their own
update schedules.

(***) Unsurprisingly, those companies include
the well known guide providers (they have the
data, and it is just another transform), and
includes the company that SD uses for their
guide data.