[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Harmony Hub alternative with actual remote

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 11:28:36 UTC 2021

On 4/11/21 6:27 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> With Logitech discontinuing its Harmony line, I was curious if anyone
> was aware of a Harmony Companion alternative that:
> - does IR/Bluetooth/WiFi
> - does activities (eg, Watch Movies will turn on Blu-ray, turn on TV
> and AVR, switch inputs)
> - has both an app AND a physical remote like the Companion does
>
> Thanks.

I'm also worried about the Logitech/Harmony announcement. I use the
Smart Control Hub and physical remote. While they say they will continue
to support for a while, I hope they don't take down the servers that the
phone app checks each time you edit anything including button functions.

I'm looking for alternatives now. I can see why their business is going
away. With new equipment the normal TV remotes work.

My wife has a new Samsung UHD TV with a Polk Audio sound bar and
subwoofer. The TV has a CEC remote and it controls the FireTV 4K stick
she uses for Mythtv-Leanfront. She's never asking for help figuring out
anything so I know it all plays nicely together.

I, on the other hand, have too many things to control.

UHD TV, Denon AVR. AMD Ryzen PC, Raspberry Pi 4, Bluray player, and
Nvidia Shield TV.

I've been looking for a better remote system/KVM.  the Shield TV
requires a Bluetooth keyboard. The Raspberry Pi 4 and AMD PC each has a
wireless keyboard/mouse.

So I'll be very interested in finding a new solution. Might be a good
project for a couple of Arduino/Circuitpython MCUs and RPI.

Jim A