[mythtv-users] Mythtv on MacOS - OSD now fixed for high resolution/retina screens

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 08:37:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 at 12:26, jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> launch till GUI 20 secs to 60 secs (1st timed run 20, next 60)
> similar time for exit 'till destop.
>
> Watching terminal output shows nothing significant.
>
> After install of John's app, first time launch->GUI 1sec, exit->desktop also 1sec

Better late than never - but my view on what causes the delays:-

Startup
- there is an 'issue' on macOS where the mysql plugin takes a while to
startup and the gui is delayed as a result. There is specific code in
certain places to account for this. Not sure whether it is a Qt
problem or a more general macOS implementation detail.
- port checking code was added a few years ago (for better IPv6
support) that is blocking on startup. This seems to add a significant
delay to startup on all OSs - sometimes it is minimal, but sometimes
10 or more seconds

Shutdown
- there is some custom socket code in the UPnP implementation that
blocks shutdown for a few seconds. This happens twice - once for the
UPnP object and once for SSDP. Its long been a target of mine to
refactor and just use regular Qt socket code - but not high on the
priority list.

Regards
Mark