[mythtv-users] Myth on a plain Android TV

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 04:13:51 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 6:13 PM mythtv <mythtv at mdabbs.org> wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience/luck/issues with installing the android
> myth frontend on a plain vanilla android TV? I'm considering a TCL 4
> Series Smart Android TV and wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

While not an Android "TV", I do hsav eit running on a junky Osprey Android
TV STB that AT&T ships for their new TV product (DirecTV Now renamed to
AT&T TV).  It has OpenGL issues with the OSD with MythFrontend (ghosting).
The LeanFront app runs with no issues, but of course does not have all the
frontend goodies.

I am probably going to put my Shield back in service and sideload the AT&T
TV app onto it.

YMMV, but just throwing it out there - it is not really viable to use the
android frontend on a daily basis unless you just like punishment :)