[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Powering up remotely

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:13:07 UTC 2020

Away from home for a bit and have been logging in remotely to check on my
MythTV system, which also runs Zoneminder.

Last night while on the system, I suddenly lost the connection. When my
remote internet connection came back (the ISP can see the modem on their
network) I couldn't login to the Myth box so I think that must have gone
too.

It's connected to a surge protector but currently not to a UPS. The bios is
set to autostart when the power comes on.

1) Let's say it auto-started but is currently sitting there with some
"press y to continue" drive/os message. To future proof this, aren't there
some motherboards that allow you to have remote KVM access through the bios?

2) let's say you have a UPS with shutdown software. It goes on battery.
Safely shuts down Linux box. Power comes back before the battery has
drained. I'm assuming the computer won't autostart because the power to it
never stopped. Anyone ever tried using a WiFi plug to power the computer
off to force an autostart?

Thanks for any advice.