[mythtv-users] Metro Detroit Comcast

Jeremy D. Eiden theonlyrealperson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 02:20:15 UTC 2020

On 9/12/20 4:27 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 9/11/20 6:34 PM, faginbagin wrote:
>> Anyone here have experience with Comcast in the Metro Detroit area.
>> Can you record basic cable, like TCM, and broadcast HD channels with
>> a cable card? How much can you expect to pay after whatever
>> introductory offer expires? Other thoughts? We've been using Wowway
>> (Wide Open West) because they don't encrypt basic cable or broadcast
>> HD channels, but phone, internet and basic cable now cost over
>> $160/month with the only equipment rental being their cable modem
>> with phone service.
>
> I am not in Detroit, but I do have Comcast, in Massachusetts. To use
> cable card you will need either a ceton or a silicon dust hdhomerun
> prime. Unfortunately neither of these is being manufactured any more,
> but you may be able to find a used one. I am paying $121 per month for
> Internet 100 mbps download, plus broadcast and "TV: Entertainment"
> package, which is a selection of entertainment based channels. I save
> $5 per month for having "Customer Owned Equipment", and $9.95 per
> month "HD Technology Fee". It would be $15 per month more with Comcast
> equipment, one converter box.
>
> With cable card and the ceton I get all the channels I pay for.
> However random channels sometimes get set by Comcast incorrectly so
> that they do not work (set to no-record or record-once). One of the
> cspan channels is set like that. (Rather ridiculous since I would
> think the cspan channels have little or no copyrighted content).
> Getting that resolved by Comcast for the Family Channel took me three
> months of phone calls back and forth with Comcast. By the time it was
> sorted out, the show I wanted to see was long gone.
>
> For phone you pay extra, I use vonage which is cheaper than Comcast's
> version.
>
> Peter

I also have Comcast in MN.  I run a Silicon Dust hdhomerun prime, but I
also have a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual tuner cablecard receiver.
It's a usb device that sets itself up as a "network" device, and I've
had good luck with it in MythTV.  It's a very similar setup to the
hdhomerun prime.

There is still a few on Amazon I found, but I don't know if Hauppauge is
still making them.

Jeremy