[mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 10:26:53 UTC 2020

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 3:48 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I haven't run mythconverg_restore.pl in years, but that 'swedish'
> setting is in my recent build from master.  It does look an unlikely
> default.

Mysql AB is a Swedish company (now owned by Oracle but originally Swedish)
so that's where the initial default of swedish for collation came in...
The latin1 encoding was due to multibyte not being a very widely used thing
when mysql was originally coded (mid 90s), and both of these were default
in all versions before Mysql 8.

Took me a bit of time to find that history, but I knew at one point they
changed and forgot when.

FWIW reloading a dump explicitly stating latin1_swedish_ci will simply make
a structure with that encoding and collation.

I'd suggest not changing it unless you go down the rabbit hole of verifying
the charset is converted properly before simply telling the database the
data is now in a new charset. Otherwise you end up with mojibake such as
characters like curly quotes (opening and closing, versus a straight) '
quote, turning into 3 or 4 different symbols.

For example:
[image: image.png]

I doubt you'd get much horribleness other than these sort of punctuation
issues, but I suggest keeping things how it was dumped in the first place
for continuity.

Mike