[mythtv-users] Problem with myth fill database...

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at Comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 03:52:49 UTC 2020

On 8/27/20 6:04 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 8/26/20 6:46 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:

>>> sd.xmltv would be valid for a user that had a source named "sd".
>>>
>>> You need to see what your source(s) are named and look for a
>>> file with that/those names followed by .xmltv. The file will be
>>> under the .mythtv directory (unless you/your distribution uses
>>> the MYTHCONFDIR environmental variable.)
>>>
>>> If it works as your user, then you've chosen to set things up
>>> contrary to the XMLTV Wiki, which recommends setting things up
>>> as the same user that runs the backend. AND when running manually,
>>> running mythfilldatabase as that same user.
>>>
>>> Some prefer to have links/copies of the <source name>.xmltv files (I'm
>>> not in that camp.)
>>>
>>> Look at this one: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480
>>> which discusses both methods.
>>>

>> After fixing the ownership and putting the files where they belong, I'm now getting "XMLTV grabber returned error code 13"
>>
>> A google search leads me here: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=129
>>
>> Where at least one user is reporting that this is a normal return.
>>
>> I'll have to watch the results for a few days to be able to tell if my schedule is being updated. It says I have 15 days at the
>> moment.
> I've got 18 days worth, 'til Sep 13 2020, which is typical.
>
> It's useful to run the grabber itself to look for issues like the above.
>
> Run mythfilldatabase -v system. Look for the line containing something
> like:
>
>   tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --config-file '/home/mythtv/.mythtv/CABLE.xmltv' --output /tmp/mythblah
>
> and run it from the command line (as user mythtv). Be sure to drop the --quiet
> switch as above. Works for the non SQLite version too.
>
> The /tmp/mythblah file won't be deleted in this case. You may want to remove
> it manually.

I finally got a chance to do this.

I found that /home/mythtv/xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache was owned by me instead of mythtv.

Once I fixed this, it seems to be working when I run it as user mythtv.

I'll know for sure tomorrow when MythTV tries to run it.

Thank you for your help.