[mythtv-users] Best distribution for MythTV

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:58:35 UTC 2020

On 01/09/2020 09:24, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 01/09/2020 09:14, jam wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>> I have wondered about creating my own packages. If building from
>>> source is really that problem free, perhaps building packages
>>> wouldn't be that hard. I have altered source packages before as a
>>> workaround, but not tried building my own from scratch.
>>
>> Although building your own packages is ‘quite’ easy, you need to
>> create a spec file and maybe rename your source dir.
>> Getting someones src rpm is a good intro but I find, in general, the
>> spec files included are gravely complicated. They need not be. There
>> are a number of rpm building tutorials.
>> For me I do not bother building rpm for mythtv (although I do for
>> other packages), a simple make install does all.
>> James
>
> That's partly what has put me off. I saw the complexity of other
> people's spec files and thought it might be unavoidable. Sounds like I
> should at least give it a try. I guess use of the build service is out:
> I think things like mythtv are prohibited.

FWIW I have been using Gary Buhrmaster's build script to create sets of
rpm packages for some time now.  I wouldn't want to create additional
demands on his time, but creating a new set of packages for, say, master
in Fedora 31 now has the command line (perhaps after a 'git pull') :

   ... rpm ] $  ionice -c3 ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r
fedora-31-x86_64-rpmfusion_free

On my 10-year-old Core2duo machine that takes about 90 minutes.  I build
there for el7 too, but there's a vpx conflict with el7/kde/plasma that
needs minor specfile edits.  The build processes are done in clean
environments using mock.

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/master/MythTV/rpm/README

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commits?author=garybuhrmaster

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging