[mythtv-users] Can't start mythfrontend with TV off since moving to Intel graphics

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Oct 28 09:29:34 UTC 2020

On 27/10/2020 23:38, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 7:41 PM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>
>> Hope someone has some more suggestions. Here are various logs:
>
> Realistically, given that many newer PCs
> support multiple video outputs, it is hard
> for an app to know what to do when there
> are none active.  Ideally an app will
> automatically adjust to new displays as
> they are added, or existing displays are
> removed, and resolutions are modified
> but even that gets "complicated".
>
> Before there was the ability for many video
> drivers to add EDID values, and for TVs
> and AVRs without override capabilities, it
> was common practice for those in the higher
> end video world to use an EDID emulator,
> which dealt with the reality of both missing,
> late, or just plain wrong EDID values.  They
> are still sold because sometimes they are
> necessary in the real world with real
> hardware.
>
> Sometimes the old ways are the best and
> fastest ways to reduce the pulling out of
> the hair (and as I recall the prices for the
> knockoffs are now not totally unreasonable).

Hmmm! That's tempting. I may well do that. £18 apparently. Well worth
it. It's just tantalising to know that it clearly can be achieved in
software and config, given experiences with nvidia. Certainly it's nice
to know there is a solution that will definitely work.

... although, having said that, experiences so far suggest an EDID
emulator alone wont do it. Before I ran into this latest problem, I was
intermittently having problems even with the TV turned on. There were
two fixes: either I could put a delay in .xinitrc before starting
mythfrontend, or I could specify CustomEDID in my X config.

That's just made me realise another potential solution. I could perhaps
add a loop to .xinitrc alternately sleeping and testing for a connection
by grepping the output of xrandr. The only downside is I'd have a delay
when turing the TV on waiting for mythfrontend to start up.