[mythtv-users] Can't start mythfrontend with TV off since moving to Intel graphics

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Oct 28 09:18:58 UTC 2020

On 27/10/2020 22:04, Ram Ramesh wrote:
> On 10/27/20 4:53 PM, Mark Kendall wrote:
>> Paul
>>
>> OK - I see what is happening (the root cause is that the display is
>> not connected)
>>
>> Firstly, Qt isn't sure what display it is connected to which leads to
>> this line in the logs (I'd have to check but presumably Qt ignores
>> displays that are reported as disconnected):-
>>
>> mythdisplay.cpp:376 (GetDesiredScreen) - Display: Screen 'HDMI1' not
>> found, defaulting to primary screen (:0.0)
>>
>> The mythtv code then tries to match :0.0 to a known display, and fails
>> with this line:-
>>
>> platforms/mythdisplayx11.cpp:125 (GetVideoModes) - DisplayX11: Failed
>> to find an output that matches ':0.0' .........
> Paul,
>
>    I have a intel NUC and I am able to start mythfrontend without TV on.
> My NUC goes through Marantz receiver and I suspect you also have it in a
> similar way.

Yes, a Marantz 1501, one of my better choices of purchase. Do you know
how it is managing to boot? Any special config?

>   However, I do have another issue that I cannot start it from rexec
> which runs without a tty. It simply hangs and does nothing.
> So, I usually vnc to the machine with monitor/TV off and simply start it
> on the X screen. I do not have issues starting this way.

I can ssh in to mine and kill mythfrontend so that it restarts
correctly, but I'd rather not seeing as there was no need with my
previous nvidia-based machine.

> I also have very similar situation with another frontend box that has
> core i3-2100. My issue has been X starts in 4K each time I turn on the
> TV and I had to xrandr to 1920x1080.120Hz.

I hoped to find a solution for mine with xrandr, but there seems nothing
to fake a connected monitor.