[mythtv-users] Slave backend storage

John jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:31:02 UTC 2020

On 21/10/2020 10:32, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I have a scheduling conflict coming up with no obvious way around it.
>
> My first thought was to dig out one of my old USB Hauppauge tuners and
> make up a new source that could be used to cover the issue, but then I
> didn't really want to spend time tampering with the Master backend and
> possibly upset something, all for a temporary fix.
>
> So, the next idea was an ad hoc slave backend. I have a spare box I
> can use - in fact it is an old master backend box - but the question
> of what to do with the storage comes up.
>
> I would rather store the video files on the MBE. Since the video
> directories on the MBE are already shared over NFS, that would seem
> the simplest solution. The alternative is local storage, but then when
> I decommission the SBE I'd have to move the vidoes; no biggy but the
> MBE might get confused when the SBE disappears.
>
> Are there any rules out there how this would work? Problems? Suggestions?

There are no problems storing the slaves recordings on a shared folder
on the master backend, If 'Master Backend' override is set they are
directly accessible to the master whether the slave is present or not.
The address must resolve to the same place on both sides. The slave uses
the master's setting for the recording directories.