[mythtv-users] Display weirdness

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 22:52:26 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 12:59 AM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 20:05:05 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>

>> >Today a new problem cropped up.  From the program guide I started ESPN HD
>> >from the "watch this channel" menu item to watch Lakers v Rockets.
>> HDPVR2
>> >started fine but the picture was shrunk to about half the size of the
>> >monitor. Esc and try again, same result.  Rebooted, and same result.  I
>> >noticed when it was starting from the program guide it showed the ESPN HD
>> >icon, but another tv icon with SD below it.  So  somebody thinks they're
>> >getting a SD signal. You can get HD video off component video outputs of
>> >the HDPVR2, right?  Here's the kicker.  After watching the game on
>> another
>> >system, I went back and tried ESPN again on the Myth box as above. Now I
>> >still get the TV/SD idon on startup but the picture is full screen.
>> WTF?!?
>>
>> There can be a number of things that can cause this, including bugs.
>> But the things to look at are how you have the config set up for
>> playing video.  There are options that allow the video playback to
>> change the video mode separately from the GUI screens - see Setup >
>> Appearance > Separate modes for GUI and playback.  If that is set,
>> then whenever you are playing video, the content of the video is
>> matched against your playback profiles and the settings for the
>> matching profile are applied.  This can also cause xrandr commands to
>> be sent to the X display to get the display to change mode to a mode
>> that matches the video that is being played.  Such mode changes can
>> happen if the video being played changes mode in the middle (eg sport
>> is 720p, but it changes to 1080i for the ad breaks).  The available
>> mode changes are the modes that X lists in its Xorg.0.log file when it
>> starts up.  You can get a problem that there are modes available that
>> are not actually what you want for your screen.  So if the recording
>> is 576p, for example, the matching mode may be only for displaying on
>> 1/4 of the screen, when it should be set up to reprocess the frames to
>> a 1080 screen size.  I have just been fighting a slightly different
>> version of this problem where I do not want any interlaced modes used
>> as when there is onscreen GUI overlaying video output, the GUI part of
>> the display gets distorted by the interlacing.  The solution I am
>> currently trying for this is to tell X not to use the EDID sourced
>> modelines (and lots of other modeline sources) and just to use the
>> modelines I have specified in my xorg.conf file.  I turned on this
>> option:
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>   Option    "ModeDebug" "true"
>> EndSection
>>
>> so that X logs details of all the modes it sees and edited the output
>> of that to create the modelines I wanted, then disabled all the other
> [...]

MythTV has long had live TV issues with stutttering, etc.  Just a shot in
the dark - have you started live TV and immediately pressed back (left
arrow) to see if it stops?

Just making sure you have not tried this already - a lot of improvement was
made by Peter Bennett a while back, but it still plays best when you let it
(I'll call it, for simplicity) fill the buffers.

If you have tried this, then please, disregard.

-Greg

-Greg