[mythtv-users] File permissions

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Sun Oct 11 18:32:22 UTC 2020

On 10/11/20 10:08 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 11/10/2020 19:01, DaveD wrote:
>> mythbackend runs as user mythtv.  My normal user is a member of the
>> mythtv group and I have write permission on the storage directories, but
>> the recordings are created without group write permission.  Any time I
>> need to work with a recording file (like fixing decoder errors (wish
>> that bug would get fixed some day, but I digress)) I need to chmod g+w
>> on the file first.  Is there a way I can have the recordings always
>> created with group write permission?
> They are here.
>
> Make sure that the storage directory itself has group write permission.

Yes, they do.  If they didn't, I wouldn't be able to do the chmod to
make them group writable.

I figured that setting the default umask for the mythbackend process to
0002 (instead of the default 0022) would fix it, but no luck
(systemd-analyze dump shows umask=0002 but new recordings are still
-rw-r--r--).  Is there a setting in the config somewhere?

Dave D.