[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - audio switching to dummy

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 10:13:51 UTC 2020

I have all my devices connected to my UHD 4K TV through a HDMI 2.0
switch. On my Xubuntu 20.04 PC I run a lot of media applications
including mythtv.

One problem I have only on this system is losing audio devices when I
switch the TV away from the PC and later switching it back.

I used to have a Video problem when switching but that seems to be solved.

However every time I switch back, audio is using device 'dummy'. I can
fix it by opening the mixer by clicking on the speaker/volume icon on
the top panel bar, and looking at all the devices under Configuration.
They are all marked unavailable, but if I click on the right one and
wait 3 seconds it will turn available and I can selected it.  The audio
will now work.

Is there a way in *ubuntu to force the audio to reset on a HDMI
connection event the same way that video does?

BTW I'm using an Nvidia GT1030 card and it connected to the switch via HDMI.

Jim A