[mythtv-users] Preventing automatic backup on schema upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Oct 6 07:14:20 UTC 2020

I am finally about to upgrade my main MythTV box from v30 to v31.  But
I will have a problem if it automatically does a database backup when
the schema upgrade happens, as there is not enough room on the system
drive to do a backup there.  And a backup takes around 18 minutes to
complete (the backup file is 2.8 Gbytes).

My backups are done by cron.daily and cron.weekly jobs, and use a copy
of mythconverg_backup.pl that I have modified to have an extra option
"--tempfile" which I use to put the temporary .sql file used for the
backup on a spare SSD partition where there is room for it, and where
it has the best possible read and write speed.  From the temporary
location, it then gets compressed to the final location for the backup
files, which is on a drive on another PC on the network.  So what I
want to be able to do is to run my normal database backup manually
before I do the v30 to v31 upgrade, then get mythtv-setup.real to do
the schema upgrade without doing another backup using the default
settings that would overflow the system partition.  Is there a way to
do that?