[mythtv-users] Ver 31 frontend cannot connect to the database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Nov 25 02:38:51 UTC 2020

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 12:12:20 -0600, you wrote:

>If it truly does work, then the change shouldn't be made in a
>.cnf file that will be overwritten by a package manager. That
>could happen at any time, for example 2 years from now when
>you upgrade to a new distribution. And will have forgotten
>about the change. Changes like this should go in the same
>place the bind-address was changed. Just before or after it
>would be OK.
>
>But: your computer, your choice.

There is no need to fear a config file being overwritten by a package
update without notice.  There is notice.  If a package is going to
overwrite a file that has been modified, it will pause and ask you
what you want to do about the differences between the modified file
and the new version.  You are given the option of keeping your
modified version, installing the new package version, or doing a diff
to see what the problem is.  If you choose to keep your modified
version, a copy of the new version from the package manager gets put
in place with a .dpkg-dist extension added, so you can go back later
and manually apply any changes in the new version.  If you choose to
install the new package version, the old modified version is kept by
renaming it to add a .dpkg-old extension, so you can come back later
and re-modify the new version if necessary.  While package
installation is paused for you to make a choice, the new version of
the file is put in place but with a .dpkg-new extension, so that you
can do diffs and merge things between it and your modified version,
and then choose to keep your modified version.  All of that process
works pretty well - the only problem I have with it is when doing a
full upgrade of the system (eg from 18.04 to 20.04) where I always
have a number of packages where there are modified files and I have to
keep on coming back to the PC to check for it having paused on the
next one.