[mythtv-users] Ver 31 frontend cannot connect to the database

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 01:20:58 UTC 2020

On 11/22/20 6:23 PM, Mike Carron wrote:
> My backend host recently failed badly enough that I was not able to
> salvage anything so I replaced the hardware and installed a new Ubuntu
> 20.04 and a new v31 mythtv-backend-master with xmltv.
>
> I then upgraded a remote frontend (Ubuntu 18.04) from MythTV 30 to 31
> but that frontend will not connect to the database.
>
> I've checked and rechecked the frontend setup screen and everything is
> correct. The config.xml files for both look like they should work. I've
> tried the backend config with </host> = localhost and = 192.168.0.222
> (the backend machine IP). The frontend config host is 192.168.0.222.
>
> I know the ip addresses are good. I can load 192.168.0.222:6544 into the
> address line of the Firefox on the frontend machine and it finds the
> database immediately.
>
> I'm no doubt missing something obvious but I can't find it. It seems
> like I have worn out 2 search engines trying.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> mike

On the backend's config.xml, always use localhost (or 127.0.0.1 if localhost
can't be resolved). That causes a socket to be used.

See if mysql is running on the backend: systemctl status mysql mysqld mariadb
Probably is if the backend is running OK.

One of the above ^^^ should be running. All three will work if
using mariadb and the Alias= lines in the service are setup.

On the frontend, the following three must work: ping 192.168.0.222,
nmap --reason -p 3306 192.168.0.222 (expect a syn-ack) and then:

  mysql --host=192.168.0.222 --user=mythtv --password=<from config.xml> mythconverg

--
Bill