[mythtv-users] mythbackend Start-up issue - possible race with dvb device firmware loading

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:28:14 UTC 2020

I'm running FC32 and, as far as I can tell, the device firmware is only
being loaded at startup.  It's possible that it's loaded again whenever a
recording is started.  It's hard to tell because that tuner is the second
in the list and is rarely used.

While playing around with capture card settings I did manage to get the
mythbackend startup to freeze without the firmware being loaded at the same
time, so maybe that's a red herring anyway.

I'm a bit concerned by John's comment about a pause and sometimes hang on
FC32/Master 32, since that's what I'm running and that's what I'm seeing.
(Although I have two DVB-T2 cards rather than one DVB-T and one DVB-T2.)

Just to answer some of the other questions.  This is a recent re-build on
an old Zotac Ionitx B motherboard.  I've re-used the Nanostick 290 from the
original system and replaced the Nova DVB-T USB capture device on the old
system with a Nanostick 292e that I bought years ago and never got round to
installing.  In the days when all the HD channels were on the same
multiplex there wasn't much cause to.

With nothing in the myth logs to look at I'm a bit stuck for my next step.
I might remove the 292e card for a while to see if that makes a difference
and perhaps there's a watchdog script someshere that resets the backend if
it doesn't come up properly.

Thanks for all the help anyway and if I make any progress I'll update this
thread.