[mythtv-users] mythbackend Start-up issue - possible race with dvb device firmware loading

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:14:07 UTC 2020

On 18/11/2020 10:40, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 18/11/2020 09:46, David Watkins wrote:
>> A bit more googling suggests it may be the backend testing the card
>> which is triggering the firmware load, in which case I'm back to
>> square one with trying to identify the problem.
>>
>> I'll try increasing the timeouts on the card to see if that helps.
>>

> I start myth manually.  On my  MythTV master/Fedora 32 box I have
> recently noticed a pause, and sometimes a hang, between the setting of
> delivery systems for DVB-T and DVB-T2.  On quitting and restarting after
> a hang everything seems to work as normal.
>
> On seeing your post I ran 'dmesg | grep firmware' - and got screensful
> of reports of downloads for si5128.  Usually, IIRC, it's done on boot;
> now it appears to be happening in short bursts at around 200 s intervals...

After Stephen's post mentioning filesystem status links I fired up and
mounted my NAS which had been offline recently after an RCD power trip
caused by a defective pizza-oven element.  The firmware oddity is still
happening.  The DVD-T pci card checks firmware status and is satisfied.
  The dvb-tuner-si2158 for the MyGica device says it downloads the
firmware every time.  I have had occasional failure to lock on a
low-power DVB-T2 multiplex too, although once locked the recordings seem ok.