[mythtv-users] NVDEC: is there something wrong with it?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:26:21 UTC 2020

I just put together a new workstation where I will be watching TV with
Mythtv-frontend when not using it for other things.

It's a 6 core Ryzen 5 3600 with a Nvidia GT-1030 fanless GFX card.

After the initial install of mythtv-frontend I started playing videos
with the default settings of NVDEC.  That worked fine on HD 1080i
content but when I tried a sub-channel where the video was 720x480 at 30, I
immediately noticed that the video paused and played every few seconds
and never got better.

When I changed the video profile to High Quality OpenGL it worked
perfectly on all video types.

So I'll leave it that way, but why would NVDEC be so bad on 480i content??

Jim A