[mythtv-users] Xorg nouveau driver vs. nvidia-driver

Ram Ramesh rramesh2400 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 19:13:02 UTC 2020

Hi,

   I am running mythtv 31-fixes on Debian Buster (10) through
deb-multimedia backports. I started with Nouveau driver for Xorg as that
is the default in Debian buster.  After testing a while and making sure
that it works, I added nvidia-driver.  While mythfrontend seem to look
tiny bit better, I see that gui is not fitting due to overscan on TV.
It was perfect with nouveau driver and overscanned on nvidia-driver.
Another thing I noticed is nouveau drive gives me 1920x1080 at 120hz
whereas nvidia does 1920x1080 at 119.88hz. Not sure if nouveau is rouding
or giving me a true 120hz. I do see that my TV takes a while when
switching from another source to mythtv host when in 119.88hz rating.
Given this,

Is nvidia-driver known to be superior that I should try to keep it and
adjust frontend gui resolution to make things fit or should I simply
switch back to nouveau driver?

Also, overscan is a general issue even with Xorg, and fixing gui
resolution will not make Xorg better. I will have to fix Xorg overscan
somehow. So, I prefer nouveau over nvidia in this aspect.

Any help suggestion in improving what I have is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ramesh