[mythtv-users] Too much?

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:19:12 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 9:23 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 07:46:23 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Am I trying to do too much on my FE/BE combo box? I found I had problems
> >when I tried to run Kodi on it so I stopped doing that. Recent problems
> >occur since I've been using Netflix over Chromium and Zoom. My initial
> >thoughts were that a Quad core AMD with 16 gigs of RAM should do anything
> >wanted, but now I'm scratching my head. I only use the one FE so I thought
> >a combo would be best, Should I keep the BE separate, and use a second box
> >for all else?
> >TIA   Daryl
>
> That should be fine.  Running Kodi as well should be fine.  My massive
> MythTV database works well in just 8 Gibytes of RAM and an 8 year old
> quad core AMD.  You can use htop to see how much RAM and swap space is
> being used and how much CPU.  But you should check and make sure that
> you have not been sold hard drives that are shingled - that causes
> endless problems if you use them like normal drives.
>
> mine are Toshiba 1TB drives from May and Jan of 2013, their website admits
L200 are shingled, I don't see L200 on mine, it looks like ACA100 (they're
still installed) and have worked well for some time.
now my database is corrupt again, mythfilldatabase wont run, saying
"Incorrect key file for table 'videosource'; try to repair it" I've run
optimize_db.pl, I'malmost ready to get out a big hammer!

the screen went black last night as I was responding, I think I will
rebuild from scratch, new database and all.